Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Reading with the Stars

Only in LA can your school have a PJs and Books night with a "celebrity" guest reader.

Last week was Literacy Week at the girls' school...teachers wore Cat in the Hat hats around campus, bookmarks and books were made in the library, and on Thursday night...we had PJs and Books!

This is fun just because. Because the kids go home from school and get into their pajamas and come BACK to school for storytime. Parents and teachers read to the children...big kids gather in the gym, little kids in the library. The middle schoolers come to the library to read to the little kids.

Kennedy & her friend read a story to a large group of restless, but cute, children.

The children were all restless & anxious...anxious for the arrival of this year's celebrity reader. This boy played Hannah Montana's boyfriend, Jake Ryan, on an episode of Hannah Montana. Everyone knew who he was...most of the parents knew who he was because he was on a season of Dancing with the Stars. Those who didn't, knew him from Hannah Montana.


Personally, I have to admit that I knew him from his Hannah Montana fame. I've seen one episode of DWTS in my life and it wasn't his, so....

Anyway, Cody Linley (oops, almost forgot to tell you his name!) was late. But when he showed up (darn that LA traffic), he was alone with no entourage. And he was the nicest, most accommodating, most patient guy. He was energetic with the children. He wore funny striped socks under his boots. He signed autograph after autograph and smiled for each and every kid. He was an awesome guest and I hope that he goes far in Hollywood because he's so darn sweet!

Oh! And Lori informed me that he is from Lewisville, TX. A little tidbit that I had forgotten when I was talking with him and taking his picture for the yearbook page on PJs & Books. A bonding moment lost...ah well.

The next celebrity reader will be an event in April, and the rumor is that our reader will be...The Fonz. Ayyyyy!!!!!!!

(So what if the children have no idea who he is? This one is for the parents, especially the ones who thought that Fonzie's girlfriend, Pinkie Tuscadero, was COOL.)

No comments: