Friday, December 19, 2008

Merry Merry Part 1

Twas one week before Christmas...but it CAN'T be, can it??? Yet the calendar says that it is, so it must be.

Part of me is a little freaked out by this. Not because I'm not "ready". I don't have a ton of shopping left to do. This season has seemed a little easier because I've intentionally made it easier for myself. I had to let a few things go. I didn't handmake anything...didn't do clever tags on the gifts with pictures of the girls, no cute crafty item will you find in your box of goodies delivered by your friendly mailman. I simplified gift-buying overall. Partly due to the spirit of the current economy (hunker down! save your resources!), partly because, well, I have been extremely short on time due to an unprecedented workload!

The part of me that is freaked out is the part that wonders "where has this month gone"? It's even been cold enough to FEEL like December! It's time to turn up the Christmas carols (I could listen to TSO Christmas Eve and Other Stories over and over and over and over), bake some cookies and enjoy this Christmas 2008!!!

August and I have attended one Christmas party, last weekend. That was a start. Yesterday was the school's holiday performance. Kennedy is in middle school and participation was voluntary and she opted out. Which was good, because she stayed home sick yesterday after all, poor girl.

Brooke's first grade class sang "Up on the Housetop" and "Shalom Shalom". I love listening to little children singing holiday songs. Especially when they are as cute as this one...



After school, Brooke and I ran a quick errand to the movie theater to grab some gift certificates for the teachers (yes, on the very last day possible since today is the last day of school before winter break). We stopped to take a few pictures by the beautiful, glimmering, ginormous Christmas tree.



And THEN I realized that I left the bag of gift certificates upstairs in the theater gift shop!!! We ran and ran and fortunately, there they were sitting right where I left them. Whew!!!

Today is Brooke's holiday party and Kennedy's girl scout holiday party, and I am determined to find some Christmas fun this weekend, so stay tuned!

What are YOU doing this season to make it feel like it's "beginning to look a lot like Christmas"?

No comments: